November 5-12 • From Concept to Market: Create a Horror Book in One Week
Have you ever wanted to take advantage of a great idea? Have you wanted to get a book into the marketplace quickly to take advantage of a holiday season, current events, or just plain beat a competitor to your audience’s wallet? Learn the secrets of the most prolific writers, editors, graphic designers, and publicists in this online workshop. You will receive daily training and personal attention, have access to a members-only online community, learn how to save thousands of dollars by doing your own book design using free online tools, compose a manuscript in days, and initiate your publicity campaign. Hosted by John Edward Lawson.
September 30-October 3 • DogCon 5
DogCon is a big shindig RDSP holds every year to celebrate books, authors and all our supporters. It’s a chance for the RDSP family to get together, meet each other, show off the latest works and begin new creative ventures. Activities will be running Friday to Monday but Saturday, October 1 & Sunday October 2nd will be the main event. Each DogCon is different and this one will be more about strengthening the RDSP author community than having public book events. Activities on Saturday & Sunday afternoon/evening will be aimed at the public but other times will be more for the authors. However, anyone is still welcome to hang out the whole time. Plans are evolving but here are some of the things we will definitely do:
- Guest speaker publicity expert Beverly Bambury will give two workshops on book promotion techniques
- Group meals/snacks (likely a shrimp boil, s’mores, Gooey donuts and a cookout)
- Readers Choice Award winner announcement, presentation of the championship belt
- Beach bonfire (weather permitting) sponsored by Carrion Blue
- Instigation workshop by Michael A. Arnzen
- State of the Dog Address, what does the future hold for RDSP?
- Visit to Dogfish Head brewery (tours are available but are 1st come, not guaranteed)
- One-on-one sessions with Beverly will be available for a fee
- Story Swap: authors will swap short pieces & perform each others’ work aloud
- Thunderdome death matches (just kidding…maybe)
- Readings by RDSP authors
May 20-23 • Create a Kindle Book in a Weekend
Edit, format and upload a Kindle book in just three days! You’ll need to bring a finished or nearly finished piece. It can be a short story, novella or novel. We will guide you through the publishing steps so you have a completed product ready for sale at the end of the weekend. Or, if you don’t have a finished piece, you can learn the steps, spend some time writing and apply your knowledge later. We will also cover resources for creating your own cover and promoting your release. This workshop is ideal for any level of writer from unpublished to those with multiple releases. Never self-published on Kindle before? We’ll walk you through the set-up. Cost for the weekend is $350 and includes cover design consultation. Hosted by John Edward Lawson.
May 21st, 1:00-8:00 pm • Broadkill Resort Open House
Come for a visit to check out the guesthouse. We’ll have a beach bonfire, literary activities, fundraising, refreshments and more.
The house is located at 907 North Bayshore Drive, Milton, DE only two hours from DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia. Directions here
If you would like to stay overnight email us directly (limited availability, fees may apply)